Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation in Huntsville AL
At King Dental, we take gum health very seriously.
In addition to the damage it causes to your teeth and gums, gum disease is associated with a range of dangerous systemic health conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
We want to provide our patients with the most updated and effective techniques and treatments, and that is why Dr. King offers the Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique for patients who can benefit from it.
What Is the Pinhole Surgical Technique?
Pinhole surgery is an option for improving the health of receding gums that doesn’t involve a scalpel, sutures, or grafts. This means that the technique is fairly conservative and minimally invasive – which most patients greatly appreciate!
Essentially, Dr. King makes a tiny hole and then uses specially designed instruments to loosen the gum tissue and help guide it over the area of the tooth exposed by recession.
The Pinhole Technique offers a number of benefits over conventional surgical treatments, including:
- Minimal discomfort, swelling, or bleeding following treatment
- A nearly instant improvement in appearance
- Treatment can often be completed in just one session
- Treatment sessions usually only last one to two hours
- The tiny holes usually heal in just 24 hours
The Problem of Gum Recession
Aside from the way it affects your smile esthetically, gum recession leads to a number of serious dental problems.
When your gums recede, more of your tooth surface is exposed. This often leads to uncomfortable sensitivity, and it also exposes the roots of your teeth to decay-causing bacteria.
When pockets form between the gums and the teeth, bacteria can easily build up, causing infection. This infection is what is known as periodontal disease. The bacteria attack both gum tissue and the bone that holds your teeth in place. Periodontal disease is the most common cause of tooth loss in American adults.
Can Gum Recession Be Avoided?
At King Dental, we like to take a proactive approach to dental care and avoid problems before they start whenever possible. You can take steps to protect your gum tissue, including:
- Using proper brushing techniques. Brushing too firmly or with a hard-bristled brush can damage your tissue. Your hygienist will be happy to demonstrate the best brushing technique for you.
- Visiting our office twice a year for cleanings and examinations. Removing built-up tartar will reduce your risk for gum disease. Examinations can help us identify developing problems early on.
- Quitting tobacco. Smoking is associated with an incredible range of health problems and leads to plaque and tartar build-up that causes gums to pull back.
- Avoiding lip and tongue piercings. Although these piercings can make you stand out and express your personality, they can also rub against your gum tissue and cause it to wear away.
- Talking to Dr. King about options for orthodontics or grinding and clenching. Crooked teeth or a clenching and grinding habit can both affect the force that is placed on teeth and may lead to recession. Dr. King can evaluate your health and provide recommendations.
Call to Schedule Your Evaluation
Have you noticed that your teeth look longer than they used to? You might be experiencing gum recession.
Call King Dental in Huntsville, AL today to schedule an evaluation with Dr. David King and find out if the Pinhole Technique is appropriate for you!