We know that nobody gets excited about dental extractions.
We completely sympathize! Whenever possible, we would prefer to save teeth, but sometimes a tooth needs to come out to preserve your overall dental health.
We will always take the time to make sure you are completely comfortable having dental extractions at our Huntsville, AL dental office. Dr. King is compassionate and gentle, as well as knowledgeable and skillful, and he will make sure that you are completely numb so that you don’t feel a thing during your procedure.
Your Dental Extraction Appointment
Knowing what to expect can also help reduce anxiety. Here’s what usually happens during a typical extraction appointment:
- We’ll get you comfortably situated in a treatment room. You are welcome to listen to music during your procedure if you find that this helps you relax.
- Dr. King will administer anesthetic to the area where we’ll be working. We’ll allow time for you to become completely numb before we begin the extraction.
- When we are sure you won’t feel a thing, Dr. King will begin by gently rocking the tooth back and forth. This helps to loosen the ligaments so the tooth can come out more easily. You may feel some pressure, but you won’t feel any pain or discomfort. If you have any concerns, raise your hand and we’ll stop and check on you.
- Once the tooth is loosened, Dr. King will use an instrument called an “elevator” to raise the tooth up and out.
- We’ll apply gauze to the area to stop any bleeding. Holding the gauze in place for a few hours after your procedure will keep bleeding to a minimum.
And that’s it! Patients are often amazed at how simple the process often is. Some extractions are more complex than this, and if we think your extraction will require extra steps (which may be the case if your tooth is broken or severely decayed), we will let you know what to expect. Nobody likes a surprise in the dental chair, after all!
Dental Extractions in Huntsville AL
If you have a tooth that is causing you pain or affecting your health in some other way, call our practice to schedule an evaluation with Dr. David King. We are looking forward to meeting you and helping you have a healthy smile for a lifetime!