When do I need a root canal?
Because people have associated root canal therapy with discomfort in the past, there is a common myth the procedure is painful. The truth is that a root canal actually relieves pain and eliminates the infection in your tooth, which is the real source of your discomfort.
Unfortunately, root canal therapy in Huntsville, AL is typically recommended when you are already in pain, hence the association. Dr. King may suggest a root canal in these cases:
- A tooth that has sustained trauma that is affecting the nerve
- When decay has reached the nerve of the tooth
- When a tooth is cracked or fractured to the root resulting in an infection
Telltale Signs You Need a Root Canal
- Pain or discomfort when biting or chewing
- Sensitivity to hot or cold
- A constant toothache that doesn't respond to over-the-counter medication like ibuprofen
- Dark discoloration in your tooth
- Swelling in your gums around the infected tooth
If Dr. King recommends root canal therapy for you, rest assured that your comfort is our top priority. Dr. King is gentle and highly skilled, and he utilizes the most effective dental anesthetics to ensure that you don't feel anything during your root canal procedure. Call our office to learn more!